The city of Ahmedabad can look forward to a three-day festival that honors the city’s status as the design destination of India. The Ahmedabad Design Fest (ADF), organized by the GLS Institute of Design, will be held on 21st, 22nd and 23rd December, 2018 at GLS Main Campus. The theme for this inaugural festival is ‘Celebrating Ahmedabad, Celebrating Design’ and the event will feature interactive sessions, debates and discussions, workshops, exhibitions and much more.
Apart from promoting design, ADF 2018 will celebrate the culture and heritage of Ahmedabad City and India on a global scale. It will commence with a lamp lighting ceremony and an inaugural speech by Sudhirbhai Nanavati, President, GLS University, on 21st December at 10:30 am in the GLS Auditorium.
Set up under the aegis of GLS University, GLS Institute of Design (GLSID) is committed to offering quality design education and it firmly believes that ‘Culture connects, tradition confirms, and technology empowers’. The brainchild of Professor Anil Sinha, ADF is slated to be a biennial design event that will celebrate design by bringing India’s design fraternity together on one platform and connect them with common people.
The potential of ADF as a concept was realized, co-owned and nurtured by Professor Sinha’s team of faculties and students, while Sudhirbhai Nanavati gave wings to the vision. Together they have put together an event that will pay tribute both to design and to the city that has given birth to so many of India’s design luminaries.
- Subrata Bhowmick, a well-known designer who represents India on global platforms
- Rajesh Dahiya, Communication Designer and founder of Co-Design, Delhi
- Abhijit Bansod, Product Designer & Founder of Studio ABD, Bangalore
- Sudhir Sharma, Founder of Indi Design, Pune & Pool Magazine
- Niti Bhatt, Senior Interior Designer, Kohler
- Himanshu Ghosh, Founder, Knownsense Studio
Sessions on the success stories of startups:
- Ankit Vyas, Founder Oizom
- Sumiran Pandya, Founder Gaatha Handicrafts
- Deepak Pareek, Founder Mycrop
- Vernacular Typography by Indian Type Foundry
- Intensive Abstract Expressionism by Siddharth Pathak
- Visual Design Bootcamp: Building UI/UX 101 by Facebook Developers Circles
- Design Sensitization by Akash Gaur
- Award winning short films like Afternoon Clouds by Payal Kapadia and And they made classic’ by Ratnottama Sengupta.
- Documentaries like Atul by Atul Dodiya and Genesis of Gaja Gamini by Anil Reliya
- Conversations on ‘Literature and Design’ by the Ahmedabad Book Club; ‘Design and Happiness’ by I’m Happiness
- Session on ‘Art Activism’ with Nathi Nonsense
- The flagship challenge of Asia’s biggest film making challenge, India Film Project (IFP)
- Unique installations designed and created in-house by students of GLSID
- Stand-up comedy show by Rahul Subramanian
- Dance performances by Bharat Bariya, Akshay Patel, Pooja Purohit and Chronicler Sapna Rangaswamy who will connect the dance performances with design
- Fashion show titled ‘Fashion Daliesque’ that will showcase a fascinating new take on modern fashion by incorporating aspects of art and tradition to create walking masterpieces.
- A space for artisans to display their handiworks and crafts, including live demonstrations.
- A gallery depicting local museums dedicated to the preservation and exhibition of the culture and heritage of Ahmedabad and its people.
- A space for unique furniture studios to exhibit contemporary pieces of furniture and interior sets.
- Exhibit spaces for designers and entrepreneurs to display their brand products.